- A fantastic look at every championship ring, by team, in NBA history. My first thought: Look at how many of those things the Lakers (and Celtics) have designed. (My favorite, by the way, is probably the one from 1985.)
- With the draft coming up in a couple of weeks, it’s about that time for us to start to look more closely at prospects. The Lakers have 4 second round picks this year and I think we’re all hopeful that the team will find a gem or two that can end up being impact players for the team at some point. Over at Lakers.com, Mike Trudell sat down with Mitch Kupchak and talked to him about the draft process. A couple of things that he said that really stood out:
“It’s unlikely you’ll draft four players in the second round that are good enough, first and foremost,” said Kupchak. “Second of all, it’s unlikely you’ll draft four picks thinking that they would make your team. You may want to take a pick or two in Europe and let them develop. At that point in the second round, if somebody drops that you didn’t think would drop you probably just take him regardless of position.” In conclusion, Kupchak mentioned that the team could potentially be in need of additional guards in part because they’re unsure if Shannon Brown will pick up the option year of his contract, and in part due to the age of starters Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher.
- It looks like Mike Brown will not be able to put his old coaching staff back together completely as it’s being reported that his highly regarded former assistant, Mike Malone, will take a job with the Warriors as Mark Jackson’s lead assistant. I don’t know much about Malone outside that he’s a very respected defensive coach, served on Mike Brown’s Cavs staff, and helped turn the Hornets into a top defensive team this year assisting Monty Williams. But all of that makes me think he would have been a strong addition to the Lakers.
- Yes, Mark Jackson is going to coach the Warriors. This is an interesting hire, to say the least. In the end, just like with Mike Brown, I’m willing to give Jackson a chance to prove that he can do a good job though I can understand some of the concern some have exprressed with this hire. One thing I can say about Jackson is now that he’s leaving the booth, we won’t be able to play Mark Jackson Catchphrase Bingo anymore. (Center square being “Mamma there goes that man”, of course.)
- The Finals continue tonight and I think this is the most critical game of the series. If Dallas loses, I don’t see any way that they come back. However if they win, I think the series goes 7 games with Dallas having a very good chance of pulling out that clinching game, even though it will be on the road. Tonight, it’s floating around that Dallas will adjust their rotation, starting JJ Barrea in place of Deshawn Stevenson and moving Brian Cardinal ahead of Peja as their secondary option at SF. We’ll see if this is sound strategy or desperation (especially with Cardinal), but Carlisle has made all the right calls this post-season so I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt.
- Finally, I want to start answering more reader questions and that means putting out another mailbag. It’s been a while, but you know the drill. Send me an email with mailbag question in the subject line and ask away. I’ll try to run one every few weeks depending on the volume.