Today, we pay tribute to Tex Winter as he receives the long overdue honor of being inducted into the pro basketball Hall of Fame. Tex’s contributions to the game go beyond his short time with the Lakers, but I claim him as one of our own anyway. He came to the Lakers with Phil Jackson, instituting the Triangle offense that led to three consecutive championships. His teachings have endured beyond his time behind the Laker bench to help claim two additional titles as mainstays Kobe and Fisher give him credit to this day. He’s a basketball lifer and we, as Laker fans, were lucky that his path crossed ours a little over a decade ago. Congrats Tex, you certainly earned it. Now onto the links…
- We’re all aware that Tex’s health has been failing him, the stroke he suffered reducing his capacities to speak and get around as well as he’d like. But, that hasn’t stopped him from making his presence felt at the HOF ceremonies this week. It’s been a story of struggle and triumph and well worth your time.
- One of the sites I’ve occasionally linked to over the years is the blog dedicated to Tex’s famed Triangle Offense. Today, that site’s founder tells us why he started the site in the first place:
When I first started this site, my goal was to demystify the triangle and explain the basics of the offense. As time passed, it became clearer to me that the real importance of the blog was to show that the triangle wasn’t some magical system for winning championships. The triangle is a philosophy of basketball whose format is dependent on the execution of simple fundamentals that can be applied to any team that seeks to play unified basketball. As the triangle’s time in the NBA seems to be coming to an end, it’s fitting that its architect will finally be enshrined in the Hall of Fame after six decades of service to teaching the game of basketball. To the man who helped me learn how to throw a proper chest pass I can only say thank you, and congratulations.
- This Tex Winter HOF “portrait” is so good.
- Over at Land O’ Lakers, the Kamenetzky brothers sit down with Roland Lazenby to talk Tex, the triangle, Phil, and more. Head over and give it a listen, there’s some very good stuff there.
- Hear the man himself speak on the game he gave so much to in this sit down with Basketball Breakdowns.
- An excellent read from CBS’ Ken Berger on Tex’s journey to the HOF. Another excellent read.
- Another nice video tribute over at NBA.com.