It was near the end of last night’s game, when I was pitching in at the ESPN Daily Dime live chat, when Matt Moore of Hardwood Paroxysms asked me a question: How do you stay interested during all these blowouts?
Good question in a sense, but the fact this was even a blowout — now twice against the Suns — shows how much we can take this Lakers team and its accomplishments for granted. The Lakers just easily dispatched a 15-5 team that is third in their conference. A team with a couple of legitimate All Stars and some quality players. Players and a system other teams struggle to beat.
The Lakers have distinct matchup advantages against the Suns, to be sure. But while this may have felt like a routine blowout, we need to remind ourselves it wasn’t. That was a quality win. We need to appreciate just how good this team is and how well they are playing
A few other thoughts.
• Going into this season, we all looked at the schedule and said: The Lakers should get off to a fast start, they need to with all the home games and a softer schedule. Well, mission accomplished. Despite not having Gasol for a while. Things are going to get tougher, there will be some road tests and some nights when Kobe’s off-the-wrong-leg-and-yes-I-called-bank shots don’t bail them out, But they have built up a good start to the season and started to really integrate Artest and find a rotation. The Lakers have focused on and been a good defensive team. The Lakers have done exactly what they needed to do so far.
• As golve32 pointed out in the comments: The Lakers have three of the top five players in the NBA in scoring their points in the paint. Bynum leads, with Kobe fourth and Gasol fifth. If you want to know why the Lakers are shooting a good percentage this year, getting shots closer to the rim helps.
• For the first time in a year and a half, I won my office football pool. The key: being too busy to make the picks myself so the computer chose randomly for me. Again, I am out performed by a random number generator.
• Why do I have a hard time taking anything Tim Donaghy says seriously?
• I love the rain, except for that I’m supposed to finish hanging the Christmas lights tonight.