Happy Monday, everybody. Here are your best Lakers-centric reads from the week:
- …AND YOU GET A MAX DEAL: The Lakers will have loads of cap space this summer, so why not get ahead of the curve by taking a look at Tom Ziller’s excellent breakdown of the top 100 free agents of 2016?
- COACH SCOTT: It is no secret that the development of the Lakers’ youngsters hasn’t gone as smoothly under coach Scott’s eye was some would have hoped. Fox Sports’ Jeff Caplan examines this coach-player relationship and suggests Scott should “back off and ease up”.
- COACH(?) SCOTT: Considering the way this season has gone, it is no secret that many are pining for Byron’s ouster as head coach and, over at Silver Screen and Roll, Tom Fehr questions why this deed has yet to be done.
- SIGH…: After last night’s 10th consecutive loss, ESPN’s Baxter Holmes covered in great detail, how the losing seasons can have a prolonged effect on the mental makeup of the Lakers’ young core.
- BACKCOURT OF THE FUTURE: On the personnel side of things, the Lakers still possess the pieces to suggest there is a promising future ahead. For many this starts with the backcourt of Clarkson and Russell being able to coexist, which is a dynamic that Bleacher Report’s Michael Pina examined in a recent article.
- MOCKING THE DRAFT: Speaking of young players, check out this 32-pick mock draft from Lakers Outsiders’ Gary Kester, where he projects the Lakers’ first and second round picks.
- MAKE A WISH: Prior to the game against Charlotte, the Lakers made, perhaps the most heart-warming personnel move of the season, signing 18-year old Mitzi Teichman to a one-day contract. Teichman, who is currently fighting brain cancer, earned the opportunity via the Make-A-Wish Foundation and couldn’t seem to keep a smile off his face the entire evening. Eric Pincus of the LA Times has the story.
- HAPPY MEMORIES: In a sad development over the weekend, Marge Hearn, wife of Lakers legendary announcer, Chick Hearn, passed away on Sunday. As the “first lady of the Lakers” and a luminary in her own sense, Marge provided a warming, positive presence at Lakers games all throughout Chick’s time behind the booth and Mike Bresnahan did a phenomenal job recounting the many unforgettable moments of her legacy over at the LA Times.
Lakers’ Schedule for the Week:
- The good news is that the Lakers get three opportunities this week to end their losing streak. The bad news is those games will be against the Wolves on Tuesday, February 2nd (7:30 PM PST, TWCSN and NBATV), the Pelicans on Thursday, February 4th (6:30 PM, TWCSN, TNT) and he Spurs on Saturday, February 6th (5;30 PM, TWCSN). So yes, there’s a chance.